mandag den 10. oktober 2011

My list of favourite KH Music. Part 1.

I have long been a fan of the Kingdom Hearts series, (since 2003 I think,) and I have allways enjoyed Yoko Shimomura San's music in the games.

I have finaly decided to figure out wich themes are my favourites, so here is a list.
But first, the rules;

1. Only 1 song from each game. Final Mix and Re: counts as its own game, so we get a list of 11 songs.
2. If a song is from a previous game, then it cant get on the spot for a newer game. (Eg, "Welcome to Wonderland" is from KHI so it can't take the spot from CoM/Days.)
3. The exception to the above rule is if the newer versions bring something new to the original. (Eg, "Reviving Hollow Bastion" From KHII compared to "Hollow Bastion" from KHI.)

Anyway:

From Kingdom Hearts: "Hand in Hand."


 (PS3)



One of the things I love about ‘Hand in Hand’ is its name.
The name implies that you (Sora) is with your friends, (Donald, Goofy.)
It also gives the Vibe that you are never in danger.
As Sora, and later Ventus, says “My Friends Are MY Power!”
And despite Traverse Town, not having a true appearance since the very first game in the series, ‘Hand in Hand’ has been a recurring theme, mainly in the ending scenes, like Riku’s original Chain of Memories ending, KHII ending, and in Codeds ending.

From Kingdom Hearts Final Mix: "Another Side."



As a Final Mix, I really didn't have that many to choose from, if you count the CD "Final Mix additional tracks" I would have 4 to choose from, otherwise the only other choice would be "Disappeared."
Starts out slow, then some 50 seconds in, it goes kabloowie!
And several of the later themes of the series, is inspired/includes points from this next passage, including but not limited to 13th Struggle, 13th Dilemma and Graceful Assassin.
In the end, it all ends abruptly, then an outro based on the opening.
Perfect theme, for a perfect teaser.
If I had to choose an overall favourite from the entire series, hands down this would win in a second.
So you cannot possibly imagine my joy when I found out it was to be used as boss themes in both BBS & Days.

From Chain of Memories: "Forgotten Challenge."


(PS2)

This is one where I have some trouble describing what it is about it that I like.
I love how you, can clearly hear how the theme evolves from merely being an organ tune, to include kick drums, and then go all out, only to calm down over some more Organ, and finally loop.
Masterpiece, that is all there is to say.
My favourite Youtube comment is definitely “This doesn’t sound like a Forgotten Challenge, It just doesn’t”

From Kingdom Hearts II: "The Afternoon Streets."



(PS3)


It’s a nice piece of change, from all the other fast and excessively dramatic themes, the series easily gets.
Not that I don’t like those, several of those are in my Runners up.
But sometimes you just got to calm down, and "Afternoon Streets" is a master of that.
Sure "Lazy Afternoon" does that too, but I always felt it was a little of in KHII, and even if I didn't, well "Lazy Afternoon" still originated in CoM so it wouldn't make this place anyway.

From Re: Chain of Memories: "Lord of The Castle."


                                          
(PS3)



Not much choice here, only other candidate would be ‘March-a-Long’ from 100 acre wood.
And that is also funny.
But I have to choose Lord of the Castle, since that is what I remember the most, from when finally facing Marluxia, how suddenly he scattered all my cards. Cheater.
Also I have been known to get overly dramatic, when listening to this with earphones, and closed eyes…

From Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix: "Deep Anxiety."


(PS3)


It's a nice contrast to its counterpart "Cavern of Rememrance", wich is quiet and a little mysterious, this on the other hand gives you energy and... Yeah I don't know what else to say. 
I love running through the Cavern of Remembrance, whenever I feel like fighting some Organization Data battles.
And I especially love to pause the game when enemies appear, so that I can listen to the entirety of this theme. If I don’t, well, all the enemies will just die in 1-3 hits depending on type.
So, the theme is too long, but at the same time, it is also the shortest Final Mix theme released, until BBSFM.


Okay those were the first 3 games and their rereleases.

Part 2  will come soon.

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar